Please review Stockalyze: https://g.page/r/CYw4g9KFTD6FEAI/review.

Missing Tickers

Started by Tony, October 04, 2019, 11:09:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Sometimes I get tickers from FinViz or other websites and I want to run those tickers through
stockalyze Backtesting, etc.

When a ticker is missing (sometimes the list can be more than five) is it possible to have an option in the popup window listing the missing tickers, to add these tickers then, instead of canceling your operation to add them, then re-start your operation?

Presently I have a screen capture utility to capture the tickers so that I remember which ones they were.

Your thoughts.
Thanks,
Tony

Sacha

It's is a nice suggestion. If I think aloud; how about hooking it with "Symbol Import"? There can be a check-box on Import Symbols dialog that will say "insert symbol if not found"? So, if you have a list of well defined symbols for which you can provide information like Country and Exchange then those symbols can be added if not already present.

Please let me know if this will be an adequate solution in your view.

Regards,
Sacha
Stockalyze Support
Let's be friends

Tony

Yes. That sounds perfect.

At times the list of tickers I get will have the "preferred" stock (the ones with a ".A", I don't want these and try to remove them before I try to import them. But sometimes I miss them, so if error/unwanted ticker can be removed, then it sounds perfect.

Wow, you are amazing.
Thanks,
Tony

Sacha

I have added this feature to "provisionally" add symbols that failed to import. Provisionally here means that they will become part of Stockalyze database and at the time of Stockalyze closing all those symbols will be deleted for which there is no price data in the database. So, if you tried to import a list of symbols and you get error listing the symbols that did not import and you chose to add them provisionally but then you didn't actually run the backtesting and closed Stockalyze then all those provisionally added symbols will automatically get deleted. But if you went ahead and run backtesting and some symbols were good and price data for them got fetched and some were bad and no price data could be fetched then all those bad ones will get deleted automatically.

I hope this will solve your problem? Please let me know how it goes and what you think about it.
You can download the beta build from here.
Stockalyze Support
Let's be friends

Tony

Absolutely amazing.

I like the provisional part and the ability to add the company name. This simplifies the entry of missing symbols.

Maybe I have overlooked it, but how could I add a name to a symbol already entered. Would I need to edit the table through SQLlite or is there a way within Stockalyze?

You are truly amazing at what you do.

Thanks,
Tony

Sacha

Thank you for your quick feedback.
If you want to add name to already added securities then you can delete them in symbol selection dialog and add them again. This is the only way within Stockalyze. I hope this works for you.

QuoteYou are truly amazing at what you do.

Thank you. Stockalyze is my baby, that's all I can say. :)
Stockalyze Support
Let's be friends

Tony

Deleting and re-entry is fine with me. In testing your new feature I added a symbol without a name.

Just questions:
Shouldn't you require a name in order to add a symbol?
Is the company name retrievable through the download process?

Thanks,
Tony

Sacha

QuoteJust questions:
Shouldn't you require a name in order to add a symbol?
It is required when you manually add it. Since in the workflow of importing symbols for backtesting (or other purpose) you may not have company names in the list and just tickers. You may acquire this list by process of some scanning from somewhere in the internet and that might only have tickers. Making it mandatory to have names may make this feature unusable.

QuoteIs the company name retrievable through the download process?
As of now we only download price history.
Stockalyze Support
Let's be friends

Tony

You are right, I see where it would make it difficult if names were required.

So far I haven't seen anything I would change about this new feature.

Thanks again,
Tony